Job’s Daughters International of Virginia Website
I designed and maintained the website for Virginia’s Job’s Daughters from 2003 until 2014. Job’s Daughters International is a Masonic youth organization, of which I was a member as a teenager. As a former member, I knew better than any outsider what was important to include on the website.
As web technologies have evolved, so has this website. After launching the original site in 2003, I have overhauled the website two additional times to take advantage of current technologies.
The first major renovation in 2005 (left) incorporated CSS, PHP, and Flash for a rich browsing experience.
Here’s an interactive Flash file I created to help users locate the different chapters across Virginia. Please note: links within the Flash file no longer work.
The second major renovation in 2011 was even more robust:
- content management system (WordPress) so that others could contribute on the fly
- a dynamic Google calendar to view upcoming events by type or region
- geo-locator tool
- RSS and social feeds
- a new branding campaign (of which I also was a key contributor)
- social media outreach via a Twitter feed (@vajobies) and Facebook page (facebook.com/vajobies)
As Virginia’s Webmaster (I really despise the term “Webmistress”), I have done the following:
- wrote or compiled most of the content
- determined and designed the best layout for the site
- took photographs of Virginia events and post them in online galleries
- updated the site regularly, which is accessed an average of 1,000 times per month
To see the complete current website, go to jdiva.org. (UPDATE: As of August 2014, I am no longer the webmaster for the site, so I cannot vouch for the look/workings of the live site, should you visit it.)
Here is the wireframe I created when designing the website. Post-it Notes are the best!
- Annual Poem
- By hand
- Custom Books
- Interactive Design
- Marketing and Promotional
- Print Design
- Proofreading and Editing
- Reports and Journals
- Social Media
- Top 10
- Video Editing
- Web languages